Improve your students’ logical thinking and deductive reasoning with puzzles that they will BEG for!
This is a package of everything you’ll need to last for an entire marking period!
- Any subject!
- Any age!
- 1-2 months of materials!
- Detailed directions and answer keys!
- Extremely fun!
Already have Part 1 and love it? Purchase PART 2 to double the fun!
WHAT ARE LATERAL THINKING PUZZLES?
Lateral Thinking Puzzles are situational puzzles where one must “solve” the situation (like a detective) by asking a series of questions that can only be answered with a “yes” or “no” response. These types of puzzles exercise one’s logical and deductive reasoning.
WHY IN MATH?
Mathematics is all about logical thinking and deductive reasoning… One is trained to think about how to approach problems in the best possible way (to solve them quickly, easily, clearly, and concisely). This part of the brain can be exercised in many ways… Do not think that if one is trained in mathematics, that this limits his/her thinking to just numbers!
GOOD FOR ALL SUBJECTS!
Logical thinking is not just used in mathematics! These puzzles are fun and can be incorporated into any subject!
I have spent many years studying, reading, and gathering my own data from students to prove that these puzzles actually help logical thinking and deductive reasoning. This is what my Masters Thesis was on and it proved to be very successful!
IN A NUTSHELL
- This is an entire package of resources that will last a minimum of one month or as long as a whole marking-period (depending on how often you use the resources and how much time you have in class)
- Includes: Pre-Test, Post-Test, Teacher Directions, Student Directions, Printable Teacher Copy of Puzzles and Answers, Puzzles enlarged and ready-to-go for overhead projection, Student Question Form that is easily customizable by the teacher, etc.
- Great for any subject and any age! Usually practiced in math or science classes where logical thinking is more commonly used.. All resources are suitable for as young as grade 5 all the through college levels!
MATERIALS INCLUDED IN PART 1
- Pre-Test / Post-Test *
- Pre-Test / Post-Test Answer Key
- Lateral Thinking Puzzles (12) –- 2 per week for 5 weeks… plus 2 extras in case one week you’d like to do three or in case 1 puzzle goes quicker than expected (always nice to have backups!)
- Printable Teacher Copy — A handy print out with all puzzles and answers as a quick reference for the teacher [print from excel file]
- LTPs for Overhead –- All LTPs blown up and ready to be projected on the overhead or whiteboard!
- Question Form –- An easy to use form for students to write down their questions in order for you to answer quickly and easily. More importantly, this form is a record of students’ participation and progress. The Question Form is completely customizable if you’d like to have the LTP already printed on the form, it’s as simple as a click of one button. Don’t want any puzzle on there so that you have just blank copies ready to go? No problem! Make this form your own in three seconds! It’s taken you longer to read this than to customize the form!
- Quizzes (5) –- Ready-to-use weekly quizzes to track students’ progress * 1 per week for 5 weeks…
- Quizzes 1-5 Answer Keys
*NOTE: Assessments are not Lateral Think Puzzles. LTPs are just a tool to exercise the reasoning part of the brain. Assessments consist of mini-riddles, patterns, critical thinking, etc. They are yet another tool to measure if students’ reasoning skill are increasing.
- Give students Pre-Test one day… (never go over the answers – this is just a base to see where students are with their reasoning skills)
- Explain to students the goal of Lateral Thinking Puzzles and what you hope to accomplish with their reasoning skills. Also explain the rules on how to “play”.
- About two times per week (or whenever you have time in class), project a LTP on the board for students to participate.
- The first few should be done as an entire class so that you can explain that you can only answer with “yes” or “no” and students understand the flow and objective. One student in the class will volunteer to write down questions asked as you answer the questions for the entire class the hear.
- After the first week of whole-class examples, break students into small groups for more individualized problem solving. One student per group will write down their questions as you walk around the room and answer their questions on the paper (of all groups).
- At the end of each week (or as time allows) give students a mini-quiz to track their reasoning progress. There are five quizzes so once per week will last for one month. Or if you do it every other week, you’ll have enough for about one marking-period.
- Want more puzzles and quizzes? Then buy Part 2! It has the same amount of puzzles and quizzes so it’s good for a whole other month or marking-period (depending on how often you use the puzzles in class).
- Give students Post-Test at the end of regular Lateral Thinking Puzzle practice.
As seen on TeachersPayTeachers.com selling for over $31!
OR on Hole Studies for a discounted price of $21!
HOW TO BUY
• Add product(s) to the cart, and then proceed to checkout
• Use one of the payment methods provided to place your order
• Once your payment is processed, your purchased files will be automatically downloaded to your computer (usually to the “downloads” folder).
NOTE: File sharing is not allowed and protected under copyright laws – the file purchased and downloaded is for you [the buyer], and you alone.
• Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or technical difficulties.
LET’S HEAR WHAT YOU THINK!
Did you recently download this product? If so, please leave a review (on the review tab, at the top of this product page) to let others know what you think!
Was it easy to use/understand? How did you use it in your class and was it a success? Do you think it was a good purchase? Let’s hear it! Thanks so much =)